Friday, February 12, 2010

The story of how Jeff and I met (Also an explanation of the Superman/Lois Lane picture)

 I just typed up the story of how Jeff and I met for the wedding website, and thought I'd post it here as well.  It's pretty funny and is a really happy memory.  I plan on telling it to every person I meet when I'm 90 years old. 

I saw Jeff for the first time while he was working as a waiter at Sanders in Grand Forks on May 16th, 2007. I turned to my friend Kathryn and said, “That guy looks just like Clark Kent! I love him!” I’m glad I have a witness for my love at first sight story, otherwise people would think I was making it up, but I’m not.

I didn’t know Jeff’s name until about two weeks after I first saw him, so I always referred to him as Clark Kent. Because down town Grand Forks is similar to Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls, Jeff was the only person in the area who didn’t know I was after him! All of the workers and regulars at Sanders, Urban Stampede, and Rhombus were in on the plan. To this day, there are still people in Grand Forks who ask, “How are things going with Clark Kent?”

I spent the first few weeks eating way too much cheese cake with the girls I worked with at the coffee shop trying to get Jeff to notice me at Sanders. I even ate sushi just because Jeff recommended it to me! (For those of you who know me well, you are aware that I not only hate the taste of fish, I also have some deep seated fears about sea creatures in general…So basically, I ate one of my biggest fears with a smile on my face in the name of true love). After about a month, it was clear that no amount of flirting was going to get through to Jeff, so I had to up my game.

On June 17th 2007, I made my move. I was in the middle of a shift at Rhombus Pizza when I saw Jeff walk by on his way to Urban. After some reconnaissance, it became clear that Jeff would be at Urban for a while reading a book. I left my shift at Rhombus early because I knew this was a now or never kind of opportunity. I marched over to Urban before promptly running inside to get up the courage to ask Jeff out. Multiple coworkers, friends, and regular customers tried to talk me out of making a fool out of myself, but I was determined. After a 15 minute prep talk, I went outside and sat down next to Jeff (who was looking like a supermodel, by the way. Very intimidating!).

Me: “Uh, hi Jeff!”

Jeff: “Oh! …hi.” (smiles awkwardly, wondering what in the hell is going on)

Me: (Cutting right to the chase) “I know that I am covered in pizza right now, but if I went home, showered, and came back tomorrow (deep breath) ….Would you want to go to dinner with me?”

Jeff: (Takes off his sunglasses, I almost faint) “Um…Yeah! I could do that!”

Me: “What?! Okay!”


At that point I was shaking so bad that all I could do was get his number and then run inside the coffee shop. Unfortunately, I was parallel parked across the street from where Jeff was sitting. With the amount of adrenaline pumping though my system, I was in no state to perform any impressive car maneuvers. So I ran behind the bar of the coffee shop and sat on the floor, trying to calm down. The manager Jen tried to reassure a nice Canadian family sitting at the bar that I was fine, and that I was just freaking out because I’m a weird person. Since I wasn’t allowed to wait on the floor behind the bar, I decided to hide in the Urban’s very creepy basement until Jeff left. It took about 45 minutes before Jen came down to tell me the coast was clear.

On Monday, June 18th 2007, Jeff and I had our first date at the Toasted Frog. He claims that he knew I was “the one” when I wasn’t creeped out by his assertion that I might get more respect as a philosopher if I were to grow a beard.

By our three year anniversary, Jeff and I will be married and living in Australia! Getting up the courage to ask Clark Kent out was the best decision I have made in my entire life.

2 comments:

Quincy Adams Wagstaff said...

It's still a great story. I would like to go on the record as someone who TOLD you to ask him out (even when you were covered in crap), and not one of those who discouraged you.

Since you are recording this for posterity, that is.

-Jack

Elizabeth said...

Yup! And I remember that I went to your house right after I asked him out because I had to drop something off, so you and Kim were the first people I told.